HENKEL SQUARE HISTORY
The property that is today Henkel Square Market, has been known as “Henkel Square” since Charles L. And Faith P. Bybee, Houston philanthropists and collectors of American and Texas Pioneer antiques, purchased the 6-acre parcel in the late 1960’s. Since the 1800’s, it was both a residential and commercial area. Numerous pictures exist that show the Square as the commercial/residential center in Round Top life.
The Bybees saved German immigrant structures from Round Top and the surrounding areas, establishing a Museum Village under the stewardship of their Texas Pioneer Arts Foundation.
ON THE PROPERTY
The cabins and houses on the property are original to the Round Top area. Three of the houses are original to the property… Henkel House (Royers Pie Haven, Von Rosenberg House (Melissa Ellis Fine Art), and The Apothecary (Wimberly Inc.). Look for the three massive live oak trees, at the base of these trees are the three houses mentioned. The other cabins were moved to the property in the late 1960s. The Round Top Antiques & Design Center was built in 2013 and the two-story building at the corner of Mill Street and Live Oak was built in 2016.
In 2010, MLD Holdings, LLC of Houston acquired the property and its historic structures. Today, Henkel Square has been revived by its new owners; its buildings saved. The entrepreneurial spirit of Texas’ earliest German pioneers seems to have been revived as well, with a host of retail and commercial enterprises calling this beautiful part of Round Top home.